What are the five main functions of an operating system?
Five main functions of an OS are –
- System boot – starting (or restarting) a computer.
- Load and execute programs – facilitates loading of user and system programs into the memory to execute them efficiently.
- Managing memory –efficiently allows memory to different programs that run parallelly on a computer. Without OS, there will be chaos amongst various programs.
- Scheduling – If there are many processes to be run, the OS prioritizes and decides which method should get the CPU first.
- Security – OS prevents a user from accessing system files that should be protected from accidental or illegal modification or deletion.
Suggest An Answer
No suggestions avaliable!