Best Police Interview Questions & Answers
Being a police officer is a proud feeling for everyone. Because this job is something that allows the individual to contribute to the country’s growth and success. Police interview questions contain the parameters that involve your patriotism towards the nation and your presence of mind.
What's in it for me?
We have created this section for your convenience from where you can navigate to all the sections of the article. All you need to just click on the desired section, and it will land you there.
- Most Frequently Asked Police officer Interview Questions
- Police Interview Questions Related Videos
- Why is Police important for our society?
- Top 10 Police oral board questions
- Police Officer Interview Tips
- Top Police interview scenario questions
In the police selection process, an interview is one of the toughest rounds to be cleared. This is why you should be giving all the effort to ensure to crack this interview. If you have successfully passed all the other rounds such as the application process, written test, etc. and now you are preparing yourself for the police officer interview questions and you are not sure what questions might be asked to you. Then you landed up in the right place!
Top 20 Police officer Interview Questions
- Good communication skills especially verbal
- Compassion and helping attitude
- Cooperation and conciliation
- Top-quality work
- Open to learning
- Love doing the service
- Mental and Physical fitness
In this Police Interview Question, the interviewer wants to judge the thought and the motive behind choosing your career as a police officer. You can begin talking about your passion, your commitment which you have towards serving the nation. You were able to see the intensity of the work and integrity required in the police department of our country. I always wish to help those people who are not capable of supporting themselves. Also, I don’t have the nature of seeing cruel people taking benefits from people with innocence. These are the main reasons for choosing this rewarding career as helping others give me peace.
Helping the community and handling the crime are the two primary responsibilities of a police officer. In order to help the community, the officers need to protect the citizen’s property and lives at any cost. Also, the serving part of the police officers also fluctuates with the number of residents in the community. Named as peace officers, do a lot to help the community such as patrol the streets on control traffic, foot or in squad cars, or work as detectives investigating crimes. They might also be appointed to work in the crime laboratory or the records department.
Note: While answering this Police interview questions, you have to be confident and sensible. Try not to tell too much, just cover the thing with a positive attitude and keep your answer short and crisp; this will help you in leaving a good impression on the interviewer.
The primary responsibility of a policeman is providing safety to the residents of the place by enforcing the law as well as maintenance of the structure of the public safety. Also, tracking down the criminals, patrolling in the streets, directing the traffic and dealing with offenders is the other set of responsibilities of a peace officer. Out of all of them, at the top of it is working for local or state police departments and then covering all the duties which come under their job. The police officers are trained for all the job roles they need to cover while serving the nation.
There is no meaning of wasting a minute when you have witnessed or fallen victim a crime. You need to report the crime as soon as possible. There are some limitations as well in crime reporting. These are known as the statute of limitations; these are put for the proper governance of the time which goes in reporting a crime before it is “forgiven” in the eyes of the law.
The fear of being retaliated is common, but if you have fallen victim or have witnessed a crime, then you should report it without any fear.
Being polite and calm are the essential skills which are required — other abilities which one should have been a police officer while witnessing a hostage situation.
- Cooperation with the other captors by not drawing attention to yourself.
- Obey the captors and
- Avoiding being loud-mouthed and first analyzing the situation.
- Memorizing the physical traits of the people present there on the crime scene.
- Check for the body language of the witnesses.
I would not tolerate any sort of corruption. If anyone would offer me any money or other related stuff, I will take strict actions against the person. It is because corruption is appreciated not from one side, but from both.
NOTE: You need to be very creative and thoughtful to get good marks in this Police Interview Questions.
Police can use its discretion power in case of small offenses such as public urination and traffic incidents. Here, the officer can arrest as well as fine the offender. He can also leave him by giving only a verbal or written warning. The parameters on which Police discretion depends are as follows
If a suspect behaves disrespectfully, and does not cooperate with the policeman is more likely to get arrested. If an individual shows respect and remorse for the actions performed, then a police officer may give him a chance by only warning him against such activities. It is the most important parameter of the actions to be taken and the use of discretion as per the study conducted in the year 1964.
The more the number of criminal cases against an individual, the more intense the punishment is likely to be even on the first infraction with you. The number of convictions matters the most.
A complaint against an individual gives an idea of the situation. In that case, there might be an influence on the discretion of the police officer. Investigation with the offense has to be carried out with care when there is any complaint lodged against the individual.
The attitude of Parents/Guardians
It is another factor which might influence the level of the discretion of a police officer. It is evidence as per the study by Bynum and Thompson. The care, interest in cooperation with the captor by the parents can change the whole scenario, and the actions might become informal.
System variables are a part of the list of the influencers of the police officer’s discretion. A policeman becomes more lenient in case of the backlogging of the court and correctional systems. The police department gets into more strict actions when the city needs funds and revenue.
- We are providing public safety by responding to the emergencies, maintaining the order and offering the best protection to people and property.
- Enforcing laws related to a motor vehicle, criminal laws and taking the life of the community to the next level
- Identification of the suspects, pursuing and arresting them.
- I am recording facts and figures for the further process of crime reporting such as documentation of the activities and incidents.
- Determining the criminal act or statute violations
- Evaluation of the complaint and emergency- request information for the requirements.
- Sometimes patrolling some areas on foot and giving the best assistance
Here are some of the best practices police officers should follow while interacting with a criminal:
- Make sure that he/she is read their constitutional rights
- Clearly make them understand what they have been charged for
- Make sure that they have a lawyer present during the conversation
- Explain things in a clear way and avoid violence at all costs.
Being a police officer, you can remain silent. You need to take care of your words at that point of time as your words can be used against you in a court of law. You can say that you can consult with a lawyer who can be available to you while questioning process. You can inform the availability of the lawyer in case of out of the affordability.
Working with law enforcement is not everybody's dream job. There are many unpleasant scenarios a police officer has to go through. To make sure that you are the right candidate, you need to show your interviewer that you have what it takes to be a good police officer.
Start with some real-life experiences and how you think it reflects on you as a person fit for the job. You need to show them your respect for law enforcement and the police force. Try showing your previous experience if any, your ability to work with different kinds of people and most important of all, your willingness to learn and grow while on this job.
If you are ever in a situation where you are being forced/coerced by your supervisor to look away from the law/directly break a law, you must be alert about it and try to understand the reason behind it. Do not fret and directly file a complaint with the Department of Justice explaining them clearly as to what happened between the two of you and what does he expect you to do ahead.
Challenges faced in a position for a police officer are many:
- Chances of being bribed
- Intimidated or retributed
- A threat to life is plausible in certain situations
But, aside from these threats, you should explain to the interviewer how the honor of wearing that uniform supersedes all of those shortcomings and make you proud to be a police officer.
NOTE: This is one of the common interview questions for police officer jobs. From the research, it has been found that this question is being asked to every third person who is giving the interview.
In order to pass as a police officer, you must be able to successfully complete the Physical Abilities Test (PAT) which would consist of the following physical activities:
- Getting out of a patrol car while still having your seatbelt is on
- Run a certain distance (500-1000m)
- Climbing or jumping over a wall of a certain height
- High step climbing over several low hurdles
- Dragging a dummy body weighing 150 pounds for almost 50 feet
- Belly crawling while missing aversions/obstacles
- Continuous stair climbing and descending
- Climbing in and out of a window
If you are/have witnessed a crime follow these steps carefully:
- First of all, call the emergency number, 999(UK), 911(USA) or 100(India) and explain to them of the robbery you have witnessed.
- Wait for the police officer to come to the crime scene
- Explain the whole statement clearly for the police officer to act on if it is not your jurisdiction.
I respectfully decline his offer to waive my restaurant charges only because I’m the patrolling officer. I reply back to him “ Thanks for your offer, but as an officer of the law, it is my duty to protect citizens and their rights. I cannot accept this as it is my job to do so, but thanks again.”
Police and community relations are vital to effective policing by law enforcement. You must think of these factors while communicating with the public in your area of jurisdiction:
- Acknowledge and discuss with your communities the challenges you are facing while countering crime.
- Be transparent and accountable, this is the easiest way to establish trust between you and the community.
- Start with small but effective steps to reduce bias while improving cultural competency.
Note: This is a type of most frequently asked Police interview questions.
Yes, being an officer of the law, it is your duty that each and every person follows the law. If you have reasonable doubt or have witnessed a law enforcement officer committing a crime, you have the right to arrest him/her.
NOTE: In the interview questions for police, it is recommended to study all the roles and responsibilities of the police officer.
No, if the order given to me by a superior anyhow violates or breaks the law, I as a law enforcement officer must not only not follow that order, but, also report this incident to a superior officer or maybe even lodge a complaint as per the seriousness of the said crime.
Yes, if my sister is found to have violated the speed limits while driving a vehicle, it is my duty to follow the law correctly and her a speeding ticket.
Why is Police important for our society?
The agenda of keeping the police officers in our society is to maintain a safe and constitutional environment. Here are some benefits to have police in our society:
- Regular patrolling of the streets even during the odd hours
- Improved public relationships
- Enhanced security of the public
- Reduction in the number of crimes
- Increased crime intimidation
Top 10 Police oral board questions
In the process of police hiring jobs, oral board round plays the key role to get selected for the job. As a candidate, it is required not only to pass the round however to beat the other you have to score higher as much as you can. Here is the list of top 10 Police oral board questions for interview.
- Tell us about yourself
- Why did you decide to become a police officer?
- Why did you select our agency?
- What do you know about the job?
- List your biggest strengths/weaknesses.
- What are your career goals?
- What do you know about our organization?
- Why do you think you are qualified for a police officer?
Police Officer Interview Tips
Here are some Police officer interview tips that will be helpful for you, if you consider them correctly while giving the interview:
- Stay relaxed and confident
- Be honest, do not cook any stories
- Listen to the question carefully before answering
- Show the interviewer how disciplined you are
Top Police interview scenario questions
You need to prepare yourself for the comprehensive process of hiring, to become a police officer. There will be a different round where you will be asked to answer some scenario or situational based questions asked by the experts. Here is the list of some popular Police interview scenario questions for interview.
- How you are going to handle the situation where your senior told you to perform the tasks or things which are not in your scope or with the company standards?
- Describe the scenario where you have to handle the situation where two coworkers are coming to you for complaining regarding each other.
- How would you handle the situation where you have to tackle an employee who is not adhering to the company’s standard?
- How would you help your employees in case your staff is short and your team has to work extra hours?
- How you are going to convince your manager to not doing extra hours in the office when your manager told you to stay back and you have some outing plans.
Wrapping it up
Please make sure that the above questions are the most likely asked interview questions for the police. There are chances that they will ask you some other question than the above list, it depends on the team of professionals who are interviewing you. But always keep in mind, their agenda is the same and they are looking for the person about whom we discussed in this article.
Go ahead and face your questions confidently and smartly. Always remember nothing to discuss which leaves a negative impression about you. It’s better to say nothing than saying rubbish. You can also read tips to crack Police interview techniques that is helpful to crack your interviews.
For your convenience Police interview questions and answers pdf can be downloaded from the “Download” button provided at the end of this article. We are always ready to provide our viewers with the best and easy experience. Feel free to share yours in the comment section.