Police Interview Questions
An Overview of Police
The police department is the civil force of a state which takes the responsibility of detecting as well as preventing the crime from the public. The officials working under the department, police officers or peace officers hold the duty of the maintenance of law and order in an area. These are the standard basics which are asked in Police Interview Questions and Answers. The students or the individuals must have the proper knowledge of the job responsibilities and the rules-regulations to be followed by being a part of this department.
They don’t have any definitive number of working hours. Representing the civil authority of the government is the primary role which a police officer needs to play. Apart from that, taking the responsibility of public safety, investigation of the criminal activities is to be done by a peace officer.
The police force was created in the year 1822 by Sir Robert Peel in England who became the home secretary that year. Improving the public law for the enhanced quality and the security of life was the motive, and for that, the Metropolitan Police Act of 1829 was started. The developmental history of the police department is another Police Interview Question asked commonly.
- Enhanced security of the public
- Reduction in the number of crimes
- Regular patrolling of the streets even during the odd hours
- Improved public relationships
- Increased crime intimidation
Most Frequently Asked Police Interview Questions And Answers With Examples:
- Why did you choose a career as a police officer?
- What qualities make a good police officer?
- How do the police help the community?
- What are the responsibilities of the police?
- How long does someone have to report a crime?
- What tips would you follow to react normally in a hostage situation?
- Tell me your reaction if a suspect offered money for you to "forget" his /her crime?
- What factors influence a police officer’s use of discretion?
- What does police officer do on a daily basis?
- Explain the various levels that a police officer must keep in mind while interacting with a criminal?
- What do police officers say when arresting someone?
In this Police Interview Question, the interviewer wants to judge the thought and the motive behind choosing your career as a police officer. You can begin talking about your passion, your commitment which you have towards serving the nation. You were able to see the intensity of the work and integrity required in the police department of our country. I always wish to help those people who are not capable of supporting themselves. Also, I don’t have the nature of seeing cruel people taking benefits from people with innocence. These are the main reasons for choosing this rewarding career as helping others give me peace.
Helping the community and handling the crime are the two primary responsibilities of a police officer. In order to help the community, the officers need to protect the citizen’s property and lives at any cost. Also, the serving part of the police officers also fluctuates with the number of residents in the community. Named as peace officers, do a lot to help the community such as patrol the streets on control traffic, foot or in squad cars, or work as detectives investigating crimes. They might also be appointed to work in the crime laboratory or the records department.
You can win a few more points answering this Police Interview Question.
The primary responsibility of a policeman is providing safety to the residents of the place by enforcing the law as well as maintenance of the structure of the public safety. Also, tracking down the criminals, patrolling in the streets, directing the traffic and dealing with offenders is the other set of responsibilities of a peace officer. Out of all of them, at the top of it is working for local or state police departments and then covering all the duties which come under their job. The police officers are trained for all the job roles they need to cover while serving the nation.
There is no meaning of wasting a minute when you have witnessed or fallen victim a crime. You need to report the crime as soon as possible. There are some limitations as well in crime reporting. These are known as the statute of limitations; these are put for the proper governance of the time which goes in reporting a crime before it is “forgiven” in the eyes of the law.
The fear of being retaliated is common, but if you have fallen victim or have witnessed a crime, then you should report it without any fear.
Being polite and calm are the essential skills which are required — other abilities which one should have been a police officer while witnessing a hostage situation.
- Cooperation with the other captors by not drawing attention to yourself.
- Obey the captors and
- Avoiding being loud-mouthed and first analyzing the situation.
- Memorizing the physical traits of the people present there on the crime scene.
- Check for the body language of the witnesses.
I would not tolerate any sort of corruption. If anyone would offer me any money or other related stuff, I will take strict actions against the person. It is because corruption is appreciated not from one side, but from both.
You need to be very creative and thoughtful to get good marks in this Police Interview Question.
Police can use its discretion power in case of small offenses such as public urination and traffic incidents. Here, the officer can arrest as well as fine the offender. He can also leave him by giving only a verbal or written warning. The parameters on which Police discretion depends are as follows
If a suspect behaves disrespectfully, and does not cooperate with the policeman is more likely to get arrested. If an individual shows respect and remorse for the actions performed, then a police officer may give him a chance by only warning him against such activities. It is the most important parameter of the actions to be taken and the use of discretion as per the study conducted in the year 1964.
The more the number of criminal cases against an individual, the more intense the punishment is likely to be even on the first infraction with you. The number of convictions matters the most.
A complaint against an individual gives an idea of the situation. In that case, there might be an influence on the discretion of the police officer. Investigation with the offense has to be carried out with care when there is any complaint lodged against the individual.
The attitude of Parents/Guardians
It is another factor which might influence the level of the discretion of a police officer. It is evidence as per the study by Bynum and Thompson. The care, interest in cooperation with the captor by the parents can change the whole scenario, and the actions might become informal.
System variables are a part of the list of the influencers of the police officer’s discretion. A policeman becomes more lenient in case of the backlogging of the court and correctional systems. The police department gets into more strict actions when the city needs funds and revenue.
- We are providing public safety by responding to the emergencies, maintaining the order and offering the best protection to people and property.
- Enforcing laws related to a motor vehicle, criminal laws and taking the life of the community to the next level
- Identification of the suspects, pursuing and arresting them.
- I am recording facts and figures for the further process of crime reporting such as documentation of the activities and incidents.
- Determining the criminal act or statute violations
- Evaluation of the complaint and emergency- request information for the requirements.
- Sometimes patrolling some areas on foot and giving the best assistance
Being a police officer, you can remain silent. You need to take care of your words at that point of time as your words can be used against you in a court of law. You can say that you can consult with a lawyer who can be available to you while questioning process. You can inform the availability of the lawyer in case of out of the affordability.