Sybase interview questions
Best Sybase interview questions And Answers
An enterprise software company, Sybase develops, sells and services database management systems (DBMS) as well as middleware products. Founded in 1984, the headquarters of Sybase is located in Emeryville, CA. This company is said to launch the first enterprise DBMS for Linux OS. SAP acquired Sybase in 2010.
Sybase IQ is a database server that is optimized for analytics and business intelligence. It is a fantastic product for ad-hoc queries, which are otherwise tough to optimize in a typical transactional RDBMS. It is a cross-platform server that can run on Linux, Unix, and Windows.
Some of the advantages of Sybase IQ are:
- Incredible performance
- Faster response time than transactional databases.
- The column-oriented architecture allows efficient access for bulk operations.
- No need to create pre-aggregations
Mainframe connect provides access to high-performance tools that relate the user quickly to a variety of mainframe data sources and provides read and write access. This tool also enables the user to join mainframe data to secondary data facilities. Using Mainframe Connect, users can also create applications to access other DBMSs, file systems and applications.
Here are some of the benefits of Mainframe Connect in Sybase:
- Provides complete read and write access to mainframe databases from LAN-based applications.
- Provides access to the mainframe data using TCP/IP.
- Builds powerful and robust client-server applications
- A proven solution can quickly and easily integrate with databases and legacy programs
This can be crucial for Sybase DBA interview questions and answers for experienced professionals.
Key features of Sybase:
- Automatically finds processes that are running slow
- Automatically converts data from XML to SQL
- Provides data backups and recovery
- Optimizes query execution
- Maintains databases with no redundancy
- Supports referential integrity
Coalesce aids conditional SQL expressions and can be used at any place where the value expression is being used. It is an alternative to handling a case expression. Coalesce also evaluates listed expressions and returns the non-null value. When all other expressions are null, coalesce will return null.
The Numeric data type is similar to Decimal. The only difference is that implementation may have higher precision than what the user specifies. However, if the user does not specify any precision, the implementation will use the default values.
The decimal data type will allow overflow based on system defaults, but a numeric data type may not.
The Replication Server is used to replicate the data. In addition to data replication, the replication server also manages heterogeneous data replication and overall data management. However, one of the key roles of Replication Server is to provide validity and availability of data throughout all threats in data management in various databases.
Procedure cache is nothing but the memory area where the compiled query tree is running. Data Cache is also a memory area where the relevant data required for the currently running queries is bought from the Disk memory to build result sets.
Here are the advantages of Data integration suite in Sybase:
- Provides tools to handle data integration challenges
- Allows organizations to realize the value of their data assets
- Helps companies improve the speed and quality of BI
- Helps companies gain a competitive advantage
- Supports structured as well as unstructured data
InfoMaker is an interface to help generate decision-ready and informative reports. Users need not know the database language in order to access their data. Features like ready to use templates for report layout, database connectivity, and instant query construction will enable the users to access the required information instantly.
No. Sybase, founded in 1984, is a software developing company that builds and sells database management systems (DBMS). Sybase launched the first ever enterprise DBMS for the Linux OS. Its product - Sybase ASE - is a relational model database server for enterprises.
Table partitioning is a feature that creates multiple chains for a single table. The fundamental purpose of this feature is to improve the performance of inserts to a table by reducing contention in the last page of the chain. This feature can improve the performance by allowing users to distribute a table's I/O over multiple database devices.