What is Search Engine Marketing or Paid Search Marketing?
SEM (Search Engine Marketing) is the way to obtain traffic on your website by purchasing ads on the search engines like Google, Bing etc. SEM basically includes both search engine optimization (SEO) and paid advertising (PPC). But primarily it refer paid advertising most. Find below most common terms used in SEM.
- PPC - pay-per-click
- CPC - cost per click
- CPM - cost per impressions
- Paid search ads
- Paid search advertising
If we talk about search ads? There ads are mostly sold on the basis of CPC, PPC but if we talk about other advertising ads which are sold by on the basis of CPM basis. You have seen that Google paid search results, these ads are running through PPC, apart from Google there are lots of content based ads displayed on the internet. These all ads are related to CPM basis.
SEM Marketing for Beginners
If you are beginners, I will suggest Google AdWords to you which is most popular platform used by search marketers these days. I would also suggest Bing Ads which is also used by after Google. Beyond that there are lots of tools or platform where you can learn SEM marketing techniques as fresher or beginner. Each SEM tools have their own PDF and tutorials but I will suggest you to Google Insider’s Guide for AdWords for beginner.
Search Engine Marketing Interview Questions and answers
- What do you understand by Google AdWords?
- What is the benefit of Google AdWords (PPC)?
- Why are we using Google Adwords for marketing?
- What do you understand by Ad rank?
- How Ad Rank impact on Cost per Click?
- What should be quality score in Google AdWords?
- Tell us few names of Google AdWords Ad Extensions?
- What do you understand Conversion Optimizer in Google AdWords?
- How do you improve Google conversion rate?
- What is the limit of characters in Google Ads?
- What if CTR and how do you calculate it?
- How many types of keywords in Google AdWords?
- What do you understand by Google KPI in AdWords?
- What is your most successful Ads campaign and why?
- Which paid media is Good for our business and why?
- Why Search Engine Marketing important?
- How do I Know that SEM is right for my Business?
- What factors affect AdWords Quality score?
- How do you decide which keywords are good for your business?
- When you saw your average position drop, what did you do?
- Have you ever created any Adwords Campaign?
- Explain, How Google auction work?
- What options cannot be changed after creating Google AdWords Account?
Looking for a new job? Do not miss to read our Search Engine Marketing Interview Questions and answers. Whether you are a fresher or an experienced, these questions and answers that can help you to crack your interview.
Google AdWords which is an online advertising service was developed by Google to support the marketers to straightaway reach their targeted customer by running their ads online. Google ads are of 4 types which are Display ads, Video ads, search ads, and app ads
Some of the benefits of the Google Adwords (PPC) are:-
- PPC assist marketers in achieving a large number of business & marketing goals. PPC is a potent tool for orienting the website traffic drivers to an end-goals.
- PPC is easy to track and measure. We can see high-level performance data including impressions, conversions which are based on the defined business goals and clicks.
- There is no minimal investing, so it is good for small businesses as they have a limited budget. The risk here is less as compared to the other options of advertising.
- In Google Adwords, we pay only once we get the outcome. With the help of “pay-per-click” advertising, we are paying each time when somebody clicks on our ad.
- Google Ads come up in front of the potential customer at the exact time when the customer is deciding to buy.
- Video content gives us nearly 100% growth each year. YouTube advertising is managed by the Google AdWords.
This is a very critical question in SEM interview questions and answers.
Ad rank is actually the position which the ad occupies on a SERP ( search engine results page). The location of the ad in SERP is directly proportional to the keyword’s place in the ad. The more relevant the keywords, ad text & the landing pages are, the higher will be the Quality Score and ad ranking
Ad rank plays a vital role in deciding the real cost-per-click that the competitors of any business pay when somebody clicks on their ads.
CPC charged by Google= TheAdrankofthepersonbelowourad/Ourqualityscore + 0.01$
The cost-per-click we get charged by the Google when somebody clicks on our ad has to do a lot with what some other people were inclined to pay for the click and their Quality Score, divided by our Quality Score, plus 0.01$
Quality score has 3 main components:-
- Expected CTR
- Ad Relevance:-Keyword to ad relevance and Keyword to user search query relevance.
- Landing page relevance.
Each of these Quality score components is given a rating like Above Average, Average, Below Average. The quality score in Google AdWords should be 7 or above. Before doing any changes in the quality score, it is important to have some clicks on the website. Keywords’ quality scores range from 1-10 where 1 is poor performance of the user and 10 is fast operating ad and landing page.
This is one of the most asked Search Engine Marketing interview questions
- Sitelink extensions
- Location extensions
- Call extensions
- App extensions
- Review extensions
- Callout extensions
- Structured snippet extensions
- Price extensions
- Automated extensions report
- Image extensions
- Previous visits
- Dynamic sitelink extensions
- Dynamic structured snippets
- Track the success with the help of Google Ads conversion tracking tool
- Use particular keywords for getting better conversion rates
- Use negative keywords in order to refine the traffic
- Use the search terms report in order to reach the target customers
- Include the prices in the ad to attract the potential buyers
Point to be noted: Go through this Q&A very thoroughly as this is one of the essential Search Engine Marketing interview questions.
Here is the limit of characters in Google Ads:-
Character Limit in Search Ads:-
- Headline 1: 30 Characters
- Headline 2: 30 Characters
- Headline 3: 30 Characters
- Description 1: 90 Characters
- Explanation 2: 90 Characters
- Path 1: 15 Characters
- Path 2: 15 Characters
Character Limit in Responsive Search Ad (beta)
- Headline: 30 Characters
- Description: 90 Characters
- Path 1: 15 Characters
- Path 2: 15 Characters
Character Limit in Display Responsive Ads
- Short Headline: 25 Characters
- Long Headline: 90 Characters
- Description: 90 Characters
- Business Name: 25 Characters
CTR stands for Click-Through Rate. Click-Through Rate is the best and the easiest way to make a comparison of the performance on different ad campaigns. The formula for CTR is
CTR=TotalMeasuredClcks/TotalmeasuredAdimpressions x 100
- Total Measured Clicks:- Total clicks on an ad
- Total Measured Ad impressions:- Total number of times when an ad was loaded on a page
Google AdWords has basically four match types for Positive Keywords
- Broad Match Modifier
Google AdWords has basically three match types for Negative Keywords
The factors that can impact the score either directly or indirectly are:-
- The ad’s Click-Through-Rate (current and expected)
- Display URLs past CTR
- The total quality of the landing page
- The variation in performance on each device
- d to search term relevance
I decide the keywords based on the following points:-
- The owner must think like a customer while creating a keyword list
- Select particular keywords to target particular customers
- Select generic keywords also to reach to more people
- Group the related keywords into ad groups
- Pick the right number of keywords
- Pick the precise number of keywords
- Choose those keywords which relate to the websites or apps which customers generally see
If I see a drop in my average position, then I will look at what actually went wrong. I will perform some checks which are as follows:-
- Data Accuracy
- Google algorithm updates
- Major site changes
- Links missing
- SEM traffic dismantle SEO's
- Mobile-First Indexing
- A change in the SERP
This is a very critical question in SEM interview questions.
Yes, I have created the Adwords Campaign. Here are the step to create a campaign:-
- Prepare a root keywords list
- Check the keywords Presence whether they are long-tail or short-tail
- Check for the negative and positive keywords.
- Ensure daily budget
- Check the presence of the keyword in Ad Copy
- For services, it is RSA(Responsive Search Ad), and for product and brand it is RDA(Responsive Display Ad)
Google auction is actually a process which occurs with each and every google search to choose which ads will come for a particular search and in which order they will display on the google page.
How does it work?
- When somebody searches anything, then the Google Ads system look out for all the ads whose keywords match the term asked.
- Now from those selected ads, the Google Ads system discard the ads which are not eligible such as the ads which target any other country or the ads which are rejected because of the policy violation.
- Then out of the remaining ads, only those ads are selected who have a high Ad Rank.
Time zone and currency settings options cannot be changed after creating a Google AdWords Account. Advertisers have to extremely alert while creating the account as Time zone ¤cy are actually used to determine how they are billed.