Rust Programming Language Interview Questions
An Overview of Rust Programming
Rust is a system programming language that works beamingly fast, prevents system or the platform from being crashed and eliminate the chances of data races. Rust is a platform that endorses you with both control and safety. In general, Rust Programming Language endorses you with some of the great features like a good control over allocation, the garbage collector is not much required, minimum runtime and close to metal.
It's beamingly fast system is actually supported by it's compilation to an executable binary, LLVM Optimization Suite, Competitive with C/C++ and LLVM backend. It has undoubtedly a safe & strong abstraction and it guarantees ownership. It also projects great memory management feature that means all the variable have a scope that is valid for. Once it goes out of scope, it gets automatically deallocated.
The history of Rust is basically categorized into 4 parts called EPOCHS:
The personal year (2006-2010) → Graydon years (2010-2012) → Typesystem years (2012-2014) → Release year → (2015-2016)
Graydon Hoare, with the contribution of with contributions from Brendan Eich, Dave Herman and others designed Rust at Mozilla Research.
Every 2-3 years, a new version of Rust Programming Language is produced.
- In 2015, the Rust version 1.0 was released
- In 2018, the Rust version 1.31 was released
The latest available version is Version 1.31.1
Here are some the Rust Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced as well as for those who want to be in that line:
Most Frequently Asked Rust Programming Language Interview Questions And Answers With Examples:
- What are the advantages of using rust?
- How is Rust’s Garbage Collection?
- How do you get a command line argument in Rust?
- How do you explain Rust compared to other programming languages?
- Could you describe some crucial features of Rust?
- Can you name few industry best companies that are using Rust platform?
- Does Rust guarantee tail-call optimization?
- Does Rust include move constructors?
- How to write and run a Rust program?
- What is Cargo in Rust?
- What’s Cargo.lock in Rust?
- What string type should you use with Rust?
- Could using Rust be a safer option compared to C and C++?
- How do we read a file into a string?
- How does a user asynchronous input/output in Rust?
- What’s the relation between Rust and its reusable codes?
- What is “cargo new” purposed for?
- How does a user read file input efficiently in Rust?
- Explain the rule of using &self, self and &mut self in the declaration method?
- Explain the significance of unwrap() everywhere function in Rust?
- How to debug Rust programs?
- What are the Error Handling procedures in Rust?
- Is it possible to write a complete operating system in Rust?
- How to express platform-specific behaviour in Rust?
- Is it possible to cross-compile in Rust?
- Explain the significance of deref coercion and its functioning.
It is a choice of developers. To understand advantages, let’s compare Rust with the similar programming language. However, if you want to get into complete details about Rust programming language, we are also mentioning some of the Rust Programming Language Interview Questions and Answers for all. Go through it and feel like you learnt so many things today.
Rust Vs C++
Rust provides safety where C++ is not even capable enough to provide protection to its own abstraction and even the programmers to protect theirs. If any mistake is committed in C++, it shows arbitrary behaviour - technically, it means it has no meaning. Rust isolates you from that part and lets you concentrate you on the problem that you are trying to solve.
Rust Vs Java.
Automatic garbage collection provides rust with an edge over Java. Java is faster but even it can’t match with the speed of C in some domains.
Note it: Rust programming language can do it easily.
Rust Vs Python:
Good Design gives an edge to Rust over Python. Lambda can’t even hold any statement. In Rust, everything is defined in expressions, which means Language part composes in a much better way.
The easiest way to use a command line argument in Rust is to put an iterator over the input arguments. Users can access the command line arguments by using functions such as
std::env::args_os or std::env::args
Compared to other programming languages, Rust is blazingly fast, guarantees thread safety and prevents segfaults. It’s safer than C languages and more user sophisticated than Go.
Move semantics, minimal runtime, efficient C bindings, trait-based generics, zero cost abstractions, pattern matching, type interface and zero cost abstractions.
Mozilla, 360dialog, Atlassian, Xero, Coursera, Academia, Edu, One signal and many. In 2017 & 2018 many of the tech giants such as Amazon, Dropbox, Google (Fuchsia Project), Microsoft (as a part of its new Azure IoT project), Reddit, Twitter (for team support) and more have adopted Rust.
The most vital advantage of using Rust over C languages is its emphasis on producing safe code. As manage memory or pointer arithmetic is necessary in C programs, Rust doesn’t require any of it beginning to end. Rust allows programmers to write unsafe code, but defaulting to its safe code.
There are several libraries available providing Rust asynchronous input/output such as tokio, mio, mioco, rotor and coio-rs.
Rust allows developers to arrange code in a way that fosters its reuse. By easy organization of modules available in Rust, which contain various structures, function and even other modules which users can use privately or make public according to their
The following function can be used to read file input efficiency in Rust.
&self : when Read-only reference is required to the function.
self : When a value is to be consumed by the function.
&mut : When a value needs to be mutated by the function with consuming it.
This function is used to handle errors that extract the volume inside an option. It’s also extremely useful for instant prototypes with any errors.
Rust Error Handling is categorized into three parts:
- Recoverable Error with Results : If an error occurs, the program doesn’t stop completely. Instead, it can easily be interpreted or responded.
- Unrecoverable Errors with Panic : If something wrong goes with the code, Rust’s panic macro comes into action, shows the error message, clean the error and then quit.
- Panic or Not to Panic : When you are dicey about calling panic or not, write the code that panics and the process will continue as 2nd.
Yes, it’s possible to write a complete operating system in Rust. Even few of latest released operating system in recent days have used Rust as their primary programming language.
The following attributes can be used to express platform-specific behaviour in Rust.
- And so on
It is handy coercion that that is used for automatically converting into the reference to the content from the reference to the pointer.
Some examples of deref coercion are:
- ü &Box
- &String to &str
- ü &Vec
- ü &Arc
- ü &Rc