Project Manager Interview Questions
A project is a temporary entity which has a starting date and end date. As a result, a unique product is produced. Getting a plan does not mean that the project will be done very quickly. It is not the to-do list that we daily for our work. The Project Manager Interview Questions we are mentioning below will help you to be an effective Project Manager in your new organization.
Phases of the Project Management
- Initiating the Project
- Planning the Project
- Executing the Project
- Monitoring as well as controlling the process of the Project
- The closing of the project
There has to someone who can do the project management so that the project can be done on time with quality. Project Manager is one who manages all the phases of the project management. Project manager assesses the project from start till the end because he is responsible that the project should remain on track and the quality of the project is not compromised.
All your questions related to team leader will be answered in the Project Manager Interview Questions mentioned below.
Skills of the Project manager
Some of the capabilities of the project manager are:-
- Risk Management
- Team management
- Problem Solving ability
- Good Negotiation
- Good Organisation skills
Most Frequently Asked Project Manager Interview Questions And Answers With Examples:
- What is the concept of project management?
- What are the qualities of a good project manager?
- What are the 10 knowledge areas of project management?
- How do you communicate bad news in your team?
- How do you manage team performance?
- How do you motivate team members?
- How do you set goals for your team? And how do you track these goals?
- How do you ensure that your project is always on track?
- How do you start a project plan?
- What are the different kinds of project management tools you worked with?
- What are the functions of project management tool?
- How to track your team members?
- What is the difference between Project, Program, and Portfolio?
- Explain on the Project Management Life Cycle process?
- How will prioritize tasks in your projects?
- What is RAID in Project Management?
- What are the tools for process improvement?
- How to deal with underperforming team members?
- Explain the difference between risk and issues?
- What is the difference between Risk Impact and Risk Probability?
- What is the triple constraint triangle in project management?
Project Management gives us a clear picture of the targets that to be achieved in the given project, how these targets can be met and how long will it take to complete the project and meet the objectives.
Some of the qualities of the excellent manager are:-
- Flexible:- Project Manager has to be flexible so that in a breakdown he or she can rapidly adjust and start executing the project from a new direction to meet the deadline.
- Communication:- The success of any project reply on the discussion. Project Manager should be able to do effective communication with his team regarding vision, issues, performance, goals, etc.
- Excellent Negotiation skills:-Project manager has to do negotiations with the vendors, contractor, senior stakeholders.
- Decision-making Skills:-Project manager has to make some decisions for a successful project.
- Team Management:-Project manager has to manage, motivate and inspire the teams who are working on a particular project.
The 10 knowledge management areas are:-
- Project Integration Management.
- Project Scope Management.
- Project Time Management.
- Project Cost Management.
- Project Quality Management.
- Project Human Resource Management.
- Project Communications Management.
- Project Risk Management.
- Project Procurement Management.
- Project Stakeholder Management.
Point to be noted: Go through this Q&A very thoroughly as this is one of the critical Project Manager Interview Questions.
First thing I do not immediately tell anything to anyone. I take time to understand why the decision has been made and who is responsible for this decision and then I call for the group meeting or call the person and share the bad news. I always make sure that there is aways 2-way communication while sharing the news.
The actions I take to manage my team performance are:-
- Set Targets:-It is easy for my team to focus on because they know their aim in the project
- Conduct Reviews:- I conduct reviews every week rather than at the end of the project
- Provide Feedback:- I check the team members performance and give them their feedback every week and also take their input so that I can support him or her.
- Track Performance:- I create specific measures according to which I check the performance of the project
- Celebrate Project Sucess:- I make sure that we celebrate after each of the milestones of the projector when the team gets appreciation from the client.
- Reward team:- I reward the team on a monthly basis
Teams play an essential part of any organization. Teams partners the company to get important work done. Motivated team when combines with the energy, skills, and knowledge can accomplish any tasks with ease and grace.
Groups can be motivated in some of the following ways:-
- I am creating a pleasant environment for team members.
- Giving opportunities to the team members to learn new skills
- Encouraging the members by valuing their suggestions
- Making sure that each of the team members is happy and working with a positive attitude
- They are encouraging the team members to try again if they have made a mistake.
I set the goals of the team in the following steps:-
- I create a specific, measurable result. I create specific and measurable goals with a deadline and small goals which is easily achievable.so that the team members remain on track. For example:- 50% project will complete in 1.5 months rather more than half project will complete in around 2 months.
- Goals of each team member must align with the project goals
- I then ask my team member to create an Action plan (establishing the milestones) so that work is done before the deadline of the purpose given
- I will track each member process.
- Will take the following on regular intervals and then reward at the end
I check whether my project is on track or not
- By taking the regular reviews from the team member
- By checking on a regular basis if there is any breakdown likely to come
- By conducting a meeting to share the status of the project and also to check whether the team members are following their milestones or not.
- At last, support them entirely if they need my support at any point in time.
This is a very critical question in project manager interview questions.
- First I will study the complete project by myself and then will share the objective and the end result of the project with the team member
- Second I will sit with my team and research on the project so that we can understand how we can reach the end result of the project
- The third will make a list of the resources that are required for the project
- At last, I will plan the actions with my team and allocate the goal to each and everyone so that they can create their milestones.
Then they will start working on the project.
The project management tools on which I have worked on are Kanban, Agile, Microsoft Project and Trello
Note:-in the above question I have mentioned the standard project management tools that most of the company uses. Share the name of the tools you know.
The essential functions of the project management tool are:-
- Project planning and scheduling
- Team collaboration
- Time tracking
- Project budgeting
- Billing & quotes
|1.||A Project is a temporary entity which has a start and end date, and as a result, an output is produced||A program is a group of the related projects, subprograms, and the program activities which are managed in an integrated way to get the benefits that not available from leading them on an individual basis.||A portfolio is a group of Project, programs, sub-portfolios, and operations to achieve strategic objectives.|
Project Management life cycle process includes
- Initiating the Project
- Planning the Project
- Executing the Project
- Monitoring as well as controlling the operation of the Project
- The closing of the project
This is the favorite interviewer question in project manager interview questions.
I will prioritize my tasks in the following steps:-
- I will list down the jobs given to us and the responsibilities.
- The second will Identify the urgent and important tasks
- The third will asses the value of each of the function given
- The fourth will arrange the functions in the order of the efforts required
- Fifth while scheduling will give buffer time as the client may demand some additions or changes.
I will follow the 3 step approach
- IDENTIFY:- I will find out what my team member is dealing with right now.
- COACH:- I will coach him on what he is dealing with. If a personal problem then I will create something new for him and make him relax. However, if it is related to performance then will develop him by giving him training.
- SUPPORT:- I will continue to support him for a period of time until his performance is improved.
This is one of the essential questions in project manager interview questions.
|1.||The risk is Future Focussed||The issue is present-focused|
|2.||Risk can be negative or positive||The issue is always negative|
|3.||The response will be based entirely on the “risk response planning.”||The response will be like “Issue workaround.”|
|S.no||Risk Impact||Risk Probability|
|1.||The impact of cost when the risk occurs||It is a chance that risk will occur|
A triple constraint triangle is the model of the constraints of the project.
A triple constraint triangle has three components:-
- Time: scope and Cost. One crucial factor Quality is at the center of the triangle.
- Cost:-Projects should be delivered within the value that was initially decided
- Time:-Projects should be delivered on or before time
- Scope:-Projects should meet the extent that was agreed – no more, no less
- Quality:-Projects should meet the customer’s quality requirements
The duty of the project manager is to manage these constraints throughout the project.