Magento Interview Questions
An Overview of Magento
Magento is an open-source PHP e-commerce platform. Magento is probably the most powerful and stable platform for e-commerce website development. It has a modular architecture and employs MySQL database management system and elements of Zend Framework. It follows the object-oriented programming and MVC architecture. It is a stable, secure, and customizable e-commerce platform framework, which provides developers complete control of the look and functionality of their eCommerce website. Whether you are looking for Magento interview questions for experienced professionals, you will find we potential Magento Interview Questions on this site.
The official development started development in 2007. In August 2007, the first beta version was made public. We have also posted Magento interview questions that you can expect in your next job interview.
Latest Version: The latest version is Magento 2.3.0, which was released in Nov 2018.
- Flexible and scalable.
- Builds customized websites.
- Provides core components with advanced features.
- In-built SEO handles duplicate content, traffic, indexing, and landing pages.
- Inbuilt tools help promote e-commerce store.
Here are some of the “Magento Questions and Answers” for freshers as well as experienced candidates:
Most Frequently Asked Magento Interview Questions And Answers With Examples:
- What is Magento and why it is used?
- Explain the different versions of Magento?
- What are the steps use to improve the performance of Magento?
- Explain the design patterns used in Magento?
- Explain the advantages & limitations of Magento?
- What do you mean by EAV in Magento? How many tables will be created in EAV module?
- Explain the difference between Mage::getSingleton() and Mage::getModel() in Magento?
- Explain the types of sessions are available in Magento?
- How we can enable Maintenance mode in Magento?
- Explain how to write custom SQL Query in Magento?
- How we can add a custom payment method only enable for admin section in Magento?
- Explain how to include js in Magento?
- Explain how to enable cron in Magento?
- Write a query to get product details with Id in Magento?
- What do you mean by virtual Product in Magento?
- What is codePool in Magento? Explain
- Explain the differnce between Catalog price Rules and Shopping cart Price Rules in Magento?
- How we can get current url in Magento?
- What is the concept of Fieldsets in Magento?
- How we can format price in Magento?
- How to check Magento version?
- Is Magento the best eCommerce platform? Explain
- How to upgrade Magento?
- What are the difference between magento 1 & 2?
- Explain the Installation process of Magento 2.2 Manually?
- List the advantages of magento 2.2.3.
Magento is an accessible open source technology built e-commerce platform which offers online merchants with a user-friendly, flexible shopping cart system, as well as excellent control over the content, design, and functionality of their online store. It also offers superior marketing, catalog management, and search engine optimization tools.
Magento has two versions:
- Magento Community (CE): The non-paid version of Magento with a significant number of functionalities but nonetheless limited to its Enterprise version.
- Magento Enterprise (EE): The paid version with additional features for developers such as easy control over a large number of products, full page cache, gift wrap, loyalty program, RMA and more.
Developers can follow these below-mentioned steps to improve the performance of your Magento website.
- Use the latest version of Magento.
- Enable caching to reduce the required number of database operations for each page request.
- Enable the Flat Catalog module for categories and products in the Magento Admin Panel.
- Compress image files
- Install a PHP opcode cache
- Use LiteSpeed Enterprise web server instead of Apache web server.
Magento has a total number of 12 design patterns as following:
- Model View Controller Pattern
- Front Controller Pattern
- Factory Pattern
- Registry Pattern
- Singleton Pattern
- Object Pool Pattern
- Prototype Pattern
- Lazy Loading Pattern
- Iterator Pattern
- Module Pattern
- Service Locator Pattern
- Continuous adaptation of code & bug fixes creates new surprises for developers and business owners.
- The large talented and helpful community of users
- Continuously evolving and stuffed with features
- Offers countless themes and templates
- Slow due to heavily layered and complex coding style
- Requires high speed dedicated server from particular hosting providers
- Technical documentation is minimal
Entity Attribute Value or EAV data module is used to get flexibility for data. Use of it brings more complexity compared to the relation table model.
A total number of 6 tables will be created in an EAV module.
- module Table
Follow these Magento interview questions for guaranteed career success in the future.
|1.||It will first check the same class instance is exists or not in memory. If the instance is created then Mage::getSingleton() will return the same object from memory.||The Mage::getModel() will create a new instance of an object every time even such purposes exists in configuration.|
Magento has three sessions available with it:
- Core/Session: offers the primary "anonymous" data about the visitor.
- Customer/Session: It handles things related to the specific customer.
- Checkout/Session: It stores information related to the quote, guest or not.
To enable maintenance mode in Magento, follow these steps:
- First, enable Magento command-line interface (CLI)
- Use SSH to log in to your account
- Add the syntax
- Then put the syntax bin/magentomaintenance:allow-ipsxxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
- Replace xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx with IP address
- Now put to enable maintenance mode
We can write custom queries in Magento. Please follow the below given examples.
$resource = Mage::getSingleton(\'core/resource\');
$readConnection = $resource->getConnection(\'core_read\');
$var_query = \'SELECT * FROM products_table\';
$var_results = $readConnection->fetchAll($var_query);
We can enable the custom payment method only for admin by to set
$_canUseInternal to true and
$_canUseCheckout to false.
Please update these given setting in your model.
protected $_canUseInternal = true;
protected $_canUseCheckout = false;
- add “requires-config.js” file in module at “app/code/Webkul/Test/view/frontend” path
- Now all the above file in the .phtml file to perform operations.
Advance Magento interview questions for working professionals in this niche.
To enable and run cron in Magento, follow the below mentioned steps. It varies according to Magneto versions.
MAGENTO 1.X: Use the syntax
MAGENTO 2.X: Use the syntax
php /path/to/your/magento/site/root/bin/magento -- --quiet cron:run
$id = 10;
$productDetail = Mage::getModel(\'catalog/product\')->load($id);
$ProductDetailArray = $ProductDetailArray->getData();
In Magento, a virtual product otherwise known as Digital Product is used by developers for intangible items such as a service, warranty, subscription or membership. Configuring virtual product is the same as Simple Product configuration but without the option to add a gift card or weight field.
In Magento, the codebook is an XML file tag.
There are three types of code pool in Magneto.
- Core: Developed by the core developers of Magento
- Community: Open for all developers
- Local: Extensions will be present in local if you have Magento site
|S.no||Catalog Price Rules||Shopping Cart Price Rules|
|1.||It applicable when the user display product in product or category pages itself.||The Shopping cart Price Rules are discounts which get applicable after the product gets added to the cart.|
|2.||These are the discounts valid before products get added to the cart.||Example: Free shipping, coupon code, discount in the order total, etc.|
$currentUrl = Mage::helper('core/url')->getCurrentUrl();
$url = Mage::getSingleton('core/url')->parseUrl($currentUrl);
$path = $url->getPath();
In Magento, the <fieldsets> * is found in
config.xml files. It is used to define which attributes or fields are to be copied to where while converting objects, that is in a quote to order conversion.
To check the Magento version of a website, just add /magento_versionafter the domain URL and go searching. This will give you the Magento version and edition that our website is running on.
If you are searching for the most interviewers asked Magento interview questions, then here they are.
We just can’t say Magento is the best eCommerce platform available globally, but it’s undoubtedly one of the best available eCommerce platforms available today due to its outstanding support, features, and security.
To upgrade our Magento, we have to follow these steps:
Via content manager
- Log on to Magento backend
- Go to System >>Magento Connect >>Magento Connect Manager
- Fill the credentials
For Magento 1.5 and 1.6 to Magento 1.9.x
- Under “Install New Extensions”, paste connect20.magentocommerce.com/community/Mage_All_Latest
- Then install and proceed
For Magento 1.7, 1.8 and 1.9 to Magento 1.9.x
- Go to Manage Existing Extensions”
- Click on “Check for Updates”
- Click dropdown menu behind the extensions
- Click on Commit changes
- Magento is updated now
|S.no||Magento 1||Magento 2|
|1.||API Added Retroactively||Core to the technology API|
|2.||Flexible Architecture||Fast Architecture|
|3.||No Front-end Library||Ships with LESS|
|4.||Available for Legacy PHP||Available for only PHP5.6+ / 7.0|
|5.||External PayPal||In-Site PayPal Experience|