Competency Based Interview Questions and Answers
Competency-based interview questions are designed to assess whether the interviewee has the necessary skills & qualities to carry out the job role. Interviewers ask these questions to see how closely interviewee’s performed in various situations in the past by revealing individual personality traits. So, it is required to answer by the interviewee about their work experience to explain the outcome of their past decisions. Interviewers use these answers to gain a better understanding of the candidate’s personality, thought process, and how they may act in the future if they hire them. So, Competency-based interview questions are a great help for interviewers interested in finding out exactly who is a candidate and how they may act if get selected. Instead, candidates should use specific situation from there day to day life examples
Most Frequently Asked Competency Based Interview Questions
In this scenario, you should explain work-related examples to highlight your career key achievements. Then explain clearly how & why you consider that as significant. Aside from this, you should tell what contribution you had given to execute this & what skills helped you to achieve this.
You should explain here how you use to work in your workspace. You should also explain how you share your knowledge & expertise with your co-worker & how you help them in solving their problems in the workspace. Apart from that, you should tell how you appreciate others for their support in your day to day work.
Fortunately, some methods and strategies I used to apply in my day to day life in the workspace
- Staying positive: It helps me to be motivated and focused on overcoming any challenge,
- Admit help when it is required: There are times when I need to ask for help, that may be a supervisor for skills training or assistance for solving a problem.
- Define the real problem: The first thing I need to know is what the real problem is. If requires I used to take my co-workers help
- The setting of goals: I always try to divide each challenge into smaller pieces that I can complete instead of trying to do everything at once.
- Evaluate the challenge: I used to write down a list of all of the possible solutions to a problem. Then I choose the best solution from the list
So I always focus on some of the key-points to maintain it
- Think before I speak or act. Don’t just react. Pause and take a minute to think about how I want to respond in an accountable way.
- Keep an open mind. Don’t jump to conclusions.
- Discuss rather than argue. Use active listening skills and shovel any piles that need shoveling.
- Never lose an opportunity to praise or say a kind word.
- Treat others the way I believe they would like to be treated.
Staying up to date on industry trends is imperative for a thriving business. So I always try to know which topics are top of mind, or what developments or issues people are facing, which can make it much easier to figure out where to focus my attention and resources. So some of the easy steps I used to take to follow the resources.
- Updates the news feed: I always customize my business’s feeds on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram so that I can easily scan the relevant and trending topics for that day.
- Subscribe to magazines: I always go for the magazines which are relevant to trending topics for my business requirement.
- Networking: Conferences, local networking events, training related to my business requirement I use to attend.
- Subscribe to Top Business Blogs: Blogs are also more of a review forum, so business blogs will provide me a layout of good vs. bad trends. They’ll take it one step further and give me "How To's" on implementing the trend at the business without completely changing the system.
Networking will help somebody to develop and improve their skill-set & also helps to find prospective mentors, partners, clients. Apart from that, it helps someone to gain access to the necessary resources which will foster someone’s career development.
Below steps are required to network effectively.
- Start by determining the goals: Ask yourself what you are looking for from the relationships you hope to develop
- Talk to your friends: Friends play a valuable role in your networking effort. You should ask your friends if they can give some references for the creation of a network
- Attend events to meet new people: Online networking is a powerful tool, but there’s nothing like face-to-face interaction. Apart from that try to attend various events where you can meet people of a similar mindset.
- Active listening: While asking questions in your network, you should actively listen to their answers & should add the skill of active listening & in this case networking events are the ideal opportunity.
The benefit of maintaining good relationships includes a higher level of innovation and creativity in the workplace as well as the ability to focus on opportunities. It helps in building trust, mindfulness in work & action, open & honest communication. Apart from that Good work relationships promote a high level of cooperation, and it makes it easier to reduce conflict in the project.
A business plan is a perfect tool that helps to catch the attention of potential investors and customers while encouraging them to support the business. So a good business plan must include the below points.
- Executive summary
- Company description
- Market analysis
- Organisation & management
- Service or product
- Marketing & sales
- Funding request
- Financial projection
Productive group brainstorming can feel like a win & it’s a feeling energized, accomplished, and excited for the next steps. It helps in the generation of creative ideas. So we used to brainstorm activity in our team.
- In our team, we address a problem, challenge, or opportunity
- In our team we try to generate as many ideas as possible—no matter how “off the wall” they may seem & in this period, no criticisms are allowed.
- Review the ideas, select the most interesting, and then lead a discussion about how to combine, improve, and/or implement the ideas.
I analyze the problem by below steps:
- It’s required to understand the problem
- Break the problem into the smaller segments
- For Each smaller part create the defined measured goal & where it is required to reach at the end
- Decide how to To Measure Progress Towards Goals
So to conduct I used to follow some of the processes.
- Identify the problem. During this step, try to collect as much information as possible.
- try to determine the cause.
- Establish a plan of action to resolve the problem and implement the solution by considering corporate policies, procedures, and impacts.
- Document findings, actions, and outcomes, so that in the future team can use them for reference.