Civil Engineering Interview Questions and Answers
Civil Engineering is a branch of engineering which deals with building, long stories, their designing, constructions, and maintenance with the passing time. With the advancement in the number of job opportunities, there has been a rise in the number of Civil Engineering Interview Questions. It is a discipline which involves the construction of public works, namely sewerage systems, roads, canals, structural components of buildings.
Most Frequently Asked Civil Engineering Interview Questions
Civil Engineering is dealing with construction, design, and maintenance of the environment be it natural or built by them. It is a professional discipline of engineering which focuses on constructing airports, bridges, dams and airports, structural components. There are many more on the list such as railways, roads, etc.
There are various sub-disciplines of civil engineering and takes the second place in the list of the age of engineering, at first place comes military engineering.
- Construction Engineering
- Coastal Engineering
- Civil Engineering Systems
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Water Resources Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Earthquake Engineering
- Forensic Engineering
- Urban or Municipal Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
Give an accurate answer to the above civil engineering interview question and score high.
AutoCAD and 3D Max are the most popular software used in Civil Engineering. These are helpful in making various high-tech presentations, reports, billing purposes. All the designs, modeling, design, architectural drawing, Auto-desk 2D and 3D designs can be successfully made with the help of this two software.
To find the weight of the concrete, multiply the length, height, and width of the area where the concrete is to be filled. Then you will get the volume of the place or the volume of the concrete to be used. To get the weight of the concrete in pounds, multiply the volume which we have got in cubic feet by 143.38 pounds/feet^3.
Per cubic meter, the unit weight of steel is 7850 kgs. In pounds per cubic foot, it is 489.8 pounds. It totally depends on the exact composition of the steel as it is an alloy of carbon and iron.
7.85×length (m)×width (m)×thickness (mm)
|1.||It is a linear structural element where perpendicular loads known as flex load are applied along with the axis.||It is a flexural component that distributes the load horizontally to one or more directions within a single plane.|
|2.||A beam is the most common example of a structural element in bending||While the resistance to bending of a slab is similar to that of a beam, it differs from that of a comparable series of independent beams in continuity in both directions.|
|3.||It is the most direct solution to the most common structural problems of transferring horizontal loads of gravity to the load elements.||A slab is used when concentrated loads result in a perpendicular bending located in the first direction of extension causing torsion in the slab.|
|S.no||One-way slab||Two-way slab|
|1.||The beams support the one-way slab on the two opposite sides. The main purpose is carrying the load along one direction.||In two-way slab, beams support the loads and four sides of the concrete slab along with both the directions.|
|2.||The ratio of the longer span to shorter span is equal or greater than 2.||The ratio of the longer span to shorter span is less than 2.|
|3.||Example- Verandah Slab||Example- Multi-storey buildings|
Minimum length of a crank is 300 mm.
The formula of Crank length = (d1+d2+5) *10mm where d1 is the diameter of smaller bar and d2 is the diameter of the largest bar.
Also, the slope of the crank is 1:10 (one of the common civil engineering interview questions.)
The cement’s strength is tested on hardened Cement-Sand mortar’s cubes, and these are prepared out of the cement which has a strength of 53MPa. It is derived from 53 Grade OPC Cement giving 28-days of compressive strength of the cement. It is one of the most common civil engineering interview questions.
The measurement is done after the curing process has taken place for 7 days or 28 days. The load should be applied slowly at the rate of 140 kg/cm2 per minute until the Specimens fails. We get the compressive strength of the concrete or the cement at the load failure divided by the specimen’s area.
Bleeding, in civil engineering, is a process and state of mixing water in the concrete in which the concrete rises above the material’s surface.
- Planning of all the work to be done on the project
- Make the decisions as required
- Organization and preparation of the list of the work
- Consider safety and health regulations along with the other legislation
- Traveling between the sites for client meetings
- Shear slump
- True Slump
- Collapse slump
(One of the easiest civil engineering interview questions.)
- Fixed price or lump sum contracts- In this contract, the buyer agrees to pay a fixed amount and then the contractor agrees on that. There are no changes made in the amount and some allowances which gives the buyer some sort of certainty in it.
- Time and material contracts- Here time is the major factor which derives all the contract and decides the money. Material and time spent by the builder along with his subcontractors. It is not certain as time, and the cost of the materials keep on changing.
- Cost plus contracts- Actual construction cost is paid to the contractor along with a set percentage of an amount for constructing a building. There are several ways involved here such as the addition of cost with a fixed fee.
- Right-click the dimension on the drawing sheet.
- Select Edit from the menu.
- The dimension value is represented by <<>> in the Edit Dimension dialog box.
- Click on the Hide Dimension Value check box and enter the dimension of the string to be displayed.
- Close the dialog box by clicking OK.
- The text to be entered in the string now replaces the dimension value.
- Asphalt Shingles
- Laminated Asphalt Shingles
- Asphalt Roll Roofing
- Rubber Membrane Roofing
- Cedar Shingles or Shakes
- Living Roofs
- Solar Tiles
Read more Civil Engineering Interview Questions and crack the interview with ease.
e strength is 3.5 N/mm2 so, of the flyash brick woulIt is three times greater than the normal brick made with clay, i.e. the value of the normal clay brick’s compressivd be 10-12N/mm2.
The size of a standard room is considered to be 10*10 feet.
|1.||It is a bulk phenomenon||It is a surface phenomenon|
|2.||It is an endothermic process||It comes under the category of the exothermic process|
|3.||It has a uniform state of the process||It reaches equilibrium while increasing gradually and steadily|
|4.||Absorption is the assimilation of the molecular species at the solid or liquid form||Surface accumulation of the molecular species instead of the bulk of liquid or solid|
- Loss of economy
- Material wastage
- Homeless with a loss of countless property
- Unhealthy environment
- Construction of bridge, pillars, and beams, etc.
- Used to test the deformation property of the new materials
- iMeasure the stress-strain relationship
- Calculates and measures the deformation response of the materials especially under working loads and weight
Burj Khalifa stands the tallest in the world with the length of 828m. It contains 163 floors.
It is the Grand Coulee Dam.
In the year 1819, Norwich University became the first college to teach Civil Engineering. Read Civil Engineering Interview Questions below. In the year 1835, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute awarded the first civil engineering degree.
- Being a civil engineer, you get several opportunities for meeting a lot of work, people and interact with people.
- Helps in gaining appropriate skills required for a better client dealing
- Civil Engineering gives a structure to perform all the activities to be done in an organized way.