Bank Teller Interview Questions and Answers
Making good financial choices is a tough decision today. Everyone wants to invest their money in the best places, so they do not have to worry about their future. And that is where the bank comes into the picture. Customers who visit these banks expect friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable staff who can guide them with these tough financial choices. Bank teller interview questions can help you in telling if your bank has the right team at work. From the word, “bank” one might think that it's all about money and money, but this job is more about people and people.
A good bank teller must handle all day-to-day operations of the bank related to the financial and customer side. A good thing to start your career in this field is that position of bank teller does not require a lot of experience, you still have good chances without having worked in a bank before.
Best Bank Teller Job Interview Questions
A bank teller gain success in his job if he/she will follow his/her duties which are described below-
- Must know how to sell bank services and handle customer account services.
- Assist their customers with any bank-related queries or issues or refer them to other bank services if necessary.
- Inform their customers about new banking services and product promotions.
- Provides various account services to their customers by cashing checks, receiving deposits, loan payments, and mail deposits.
- Perform special requests by closing accounts, exchanging foreign currencies, opening, and closing Christmas and various vacation clubs, etc.
- Maintain the confidence of their customers and protects bank operations by keeping things confidential.
This is the type of operational teller interview question and is best answered by describing the process, you will use to accomplish the situation about which the interviewer is asking you.
Customer Service is the main key skill every bank teller must possess and is very important to the bank’s operations as well. Any customer will choose their respective bank based first on the services provided by that bank and second on the capabilities and friendliness of the employees. By listening to their queries and answering them with all my patience, processing their transactions accurately and efficiently will provide excellent services to them.
There are several ways using which you can detect counterfeit cash and fraudulent checks such as -
- Use a counterfeit pen that will easily detect counterfeit cash.
- For fraudulent checks, you can look for telltale signs. These signs show error at the time of printing, a large amount, a suspicious signature, and missing information related to address or bank name.
This is a type of operational interview question by which the interviewer wants to know if you are comfortable dealing with a large amount of money as this is one of the most important aspects of a bank teller’s job.
You can answer it in the following way - "As I have mentioned in my resume"
- I have worked as a retail cashier which required me to handle large volumes of cash accurately and quickly.
- Also, I am very good with numbers which makes me comfortable doing this, and I will assure you that my cash drawer or register will always be balanced at the end of my shift.”
Answering this teller job interview question in the following way clearly tells the interviewer if the candidate has the basic knowledge regarding this job. Candidates should clearly tell the main differences instead of keeping their answers too short and too long.
|It is a type of account that is used for everyday transactions and is offered by banks, credit unions, and small lenders.
|A saving bank account is an account intended for storing money.
|A checking account does not provide interest over time.
|Saving accounts help you to grow your money no matter if you need to access your cash or not.
|Checking accounts comes with debit cards.
|Savings accounts are different and do not come with debit cards.
|With a checking account, individuals can perform as many transactions as they want.
|Saving accounts are meant for occasional purposes.
A good bank teller must possess the skills of a good salesperson as well. You can answer this question by describing a time when you had to convince a customer in the past.
“While working as a bank teller, I am often approached by people who are not clients of my bank. In that case, I let my manager know that I must spend additional time with that person so that they can direct that customer to other teller windows. I then myself take time to explain the bank’s services, answering their queries if any, and then in the end asking if they would want to open an account with us.
Showing the client that you are a good listener and have their best interests in mind is the first step to building trust between that client and the bank.”
- By telling them you like their working environment and the bank of the service offered to their employees.
- The way tellers and personal bankers deal with their customers of the bank.
- In case you have an account with that bank, you can describe your satisfaction with the customer service offered to you at that time.
- By praising their product portfolio, values, employee benefits, and goals they promote in the bank.
- Show them that their bank is your first choice, and you will be proud to join their team.
This question can either be a question or a role-play and should be answered by covering the following points-
- Tell the customer how that loan will help them to achieve their financial goals and they will be free from financial problems.
- Tell them in a simple language so that they can easily understand. Do not use too many banking terms.
- Try to understand the needs of the customer and then match them with the most suitable product of your bank.
A good bank teller should always stay calm and should be able to look at the problem from the client’s perspective and ignore their harsh words by simply moving on to the next client.
Your attitude matters the most than the situation and your attitude in a bank teller job should always be like
Customer is always right, and it is your responsibility to make sure they leave the bank satisfied.
This is a behavioral question and is asked to determine your level of integrity, honesty, and ability to protect the bank’s interests.
- Inform my manager rather than approaching the person directly.
- If you feel pity or sympathy for the coworker, tell them politely to put the money back if they do not want to be busted.
- Do not discuss the situation with any other coworker or any outsider. This can ruin the image of that bank.
- If you have insurance covering employee theft, then in that case a police report will be needed.
- If in case only you saw them stealing then make sure that your evidence is strong enough to prove your point.
Show your interviewer that you can handle the social aspect of customer interaction as well as large sums of money daily. Try to show your interviewer how your own personal experience has given you the skills to make a perfect fit for this role.