What are the difference between laravel 5 & laravel 4?
There are vast differences between laravel 4 and laravel 5 regarding LTS, features, file structures, etc.
Laravel 4 was the one who brought significant popularity to the Laravel framework, but this version not updated anymore, and it also lacks a lot of functions released in Laravel 5.
- Laravel 4 released May 2013 but Laravel 5 released in February 2015.
- Laravel 5 has LTS Supports. It means the LTS version stands for Long Term Support. It implies that bugfixes for that version will be provided for two years, until the next LTS version.
- In Laravel 5, Controllers, middleware, and requests are now grouped under the app/Http directory.
- A new directory app/Providers replaces the app/start files from previous versions of Laravel 4.x.
- In Laravel 5 Application language files and views have been moved to the resources directory.
- New Artisan command route: cache to drastically speed up the registration of your ways.
- Laravel 5 supported HTTP middleware and included authentication and CSRF "filters" have been converted to middleware but not in Laravel 4.
- Now in Laravel 5, User registration, password reset and authentication controllers are included out of the box, as well as simple corresponding views, which are located at in resources/views/auth.
- Laravel 5 gives a Socialite package which is an optional, Laravel 5.0+ compatible package that provides painless authentication with OAuth providers.
- The favorite dd helper function, which dumps variable debug information, has been upgraded to use the amazing Symfony VarDumper.
In contrast to Laravel 4 to 5 version differences, which is huge, 5.x and 5.y versions are not that different. Some functions added, some updated/removed in laravel 5, but the core structure remains the same.